Cloth diapering is easy. It's also fun and in my opinion it is better for the environment. I believe the numbers are somewhere around 18 billion disposables being thrown away each year and they take about 500 years to decompose... 'nough said.
Some argue that the water used to wash cloth diapers makes them just as damaging to the environment but I've done some research that shows that the amount of water used to wash diapers is close to equivalent to what a potty trained child would use if he or she were using the toilet.
Cloth is easy. Yes...EASY! There are so many options out there now and they are not just a piece of cloth and diaper pins anymore. Although - that works too. I've posted some pictures above our some of our stash and as you can see some have snaps and they are all fitted with leg gussets. I've never had a huge blow out when using cloth like I did when I used disposables. I cannot count the number of cute outfits that were ruined with breastmilk poop blowouts due to improper containment by disposable diapers.
Cloth is fun. Yup...FUN! Everytime you change a dipe you get to choose the next super cute diaper for you baby to sport. I also believe they are more comfy for little ones. No plastic or paper (or chemicals), just soft cloth kind of like undies.
I used disposables for Gavin and Brynn. So why did I change to cloth for Odie? Well, I actually tried to do cloth with Gavin but I didn't have someone to teach me how. I went down to the store, bought some cloth diapers, read the info. sheet on how to clean them and went for it. I failed miserably. I was a first time mama who due to a traumatic birth and a baby that cried A LOT I gave up. Come to find out I didn't have the proper tools or support to be successful.
When I wanted to learn about cloth when I was pregnant with Odie I had a friend come over who had successful clothed two kids. It is only due to her help that I was successful and that is why I am always willing to help others learn. I kind of feel like cloth diapering is a lost art of sorts. With mass media and advertising (another post on that someday!!!) disposables are the "norm".
I've posted some links above on where to find specific diapers but you can also find them used on Craigslist and http://www.hyenacart.com/ under "Spot's Corner". There is also a website called Diaper Swappers that I haven't really used because I find it a bit complicated.
This is a very abbreviated post as I could work on it for a month before I was done. Just know that I am always willing to teach and answer questions.
p.s. Did you like my title? I am the worst at coming up with catchy titles so I just decided to write the first thing that came to my mind. Rad is a rad word, ya know?
No comments:
Post a Comment